Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Daily Bread

I don't want to pray for daily bread. I want the month's bread (actually the year's bread, or better yet, the decade's bread) lined up as a sure and certain thing. So I get terribly uneasy when the finances at church are iffier than usual.

And then what does God go and do? A thank-you check surprisingly arrives in the mail from the son of a shut-in. And an anonymous envelope of cash is handed to me. And a friend shows up to visit, bringing all sorts of spare garden produce. And a gift-card arrives in the mail from a friend. And a small check is given to the pastor. Then a neighbor arrives with treats from an over-abundant garden.

These things may not be enough to replace a paycheck (but they sure help). But I think that's not the point. God can provide for us as He wills, whether the "normal" means are in place or not.

I wonder if I'll ever learn to believe that.

3 comments:

  1. God gives daily bread, even without our prayer, also to all the wicked. Believe it, or not.

    He doesn't even require you to memorize anything first ;-) And He starts right away, while you're still in your mother's womb.

    He tends to be considerably more generous than any of us, and not at all motivated by what's in it for Him. He simply loves us, and feeds us, because of who He is, and for Jesus' sake, who daily and richly and freely forgives all our sins. It is all by grace alone.

    Nevertheless, we pray that He would lead us to realize all of this, to love and trust in Him, to give Him thanks and praise, and gladly to serve and obey Him.

    For my part, I am giving thanks this evening that He has opened up His hand to satisfy the desires of my very dear friends in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing how God provides for our needs. It also amazes me that those members and friends who show up at those times of need are often ones who have never shown up before. But like you, it is a lesson that seems to have to be learned over and over and over again. Maybe that is as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I don't want God to provide in an AMAZING way -- a way that I cannot foresee and expect on a regular basis. I want Him to provide in the the humdrum, boring, regular way.

    Not like He asked which I prefer. And I gotta admit, I prefer the amazing way to the not-at-all way!

    ReplyDelete