Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Jelly-Mom Strikes Again

A few years ago, the jelly-making got out of control. Several batches of strawberry, a couple batches each of peach and plum, quite a few batches of blackberry, several batches of grape, and pretty soon there were more than 100 jars of jelly sitting in the basement. Now, c'mon, we may like jelly, but two jars per week? Nah....

So I have been trying valiantly to control my jelly-making urges.

Recently, the guys told me there wasn't much jelly left. It's early June. Surely we could hold out a few more weeks till the strawberries are ripe.

We couldn't. Today we finished the last jar. And the strawberry farms aren't open yet.

Okay. Okay. We'd make jelly. But it had to wait until after grocery-shopping. (After all, I don't think they wanted couch-cushion jelly, or pencil jelly, or jelly made of any of the other non-food items I had in hand. So a trip to the market was in order.)

Now, which kind of jelly to make to see us through till strawberry time? Hmmm. Just one flavor? We're used to switching off. (How spoiled are we???) I decided on cherry and a punch-ish flavor. But when I got home, Paddington here wanted orange marmalade. We agreed to make orange jelly without the little orange pieces in it that morph jelly into marmalade.

So tonight we made three batches. Eighteen jars of jelly. I guess that will see us through a few weeks till the strawberries are ripe.

Why can I not stop making jam once I start?

2 comments:

  1. Because jam is delicious.

    And I would still like my identifying paperwork- and my high school transcript (or a copy thereof). It occurred to me that a few places might want some "proof of education."

    I'll see you tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the same reason that when I make applesauce, I can't just throw the peelings into the trash. They go in their own kettle and get boiled down to make juice for apple jelly.

    Sheesh, the work I create for myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete