Sunday, June 03, 2007

I Bind unto Myself Today

When I first learned St Patrick's hymn, I thought it was saying that I am binding God's wisdom and power and might to myself, so that I would be wise and powerful and mighty in His service.

But maybe that's not what it's about. "I bind unto myself today ... His ear to hearken to my need." That's being bound to my pastor. And his ear that hears me in the confessional. And likewise I am bound to his/His voice: "the wisdom of my God to teach." I'm not the wise one. I am not the one who teaches. But I am bound to God's wisdom that is taught to me.

"The Word of God to give me speech." It's not what I speak. But the speech that is given to me. That speech that is sent in my direction from the pastor.

I "bind these things to myself" by hangin' on tight to my pastor, not letting go of him, making sure I'm listening when he opens his mouth, and meditating on these things later.


And with it being June, and all the new guys being ordained, this reminded me of past discussions about whether ordination is a means of grace. When Lutherans first hear about the possibility of considering ordination a means of grace, we bristle. How could it be? After all, that would be saying that God is offering grace to somebody that I'm not allowed access to.

Well, first off, those shepherds who fight the wolf for us sheep should not be begrudged any extra measure of grace from God. IF that's where the "gift of grace" attached to the sacrament of ordination goes, then who's to complain??

But personally, I think the grace given in the sacrament of ordination is the grace given to me because I have a pastor. (For those of you who are trying to figure out my ADDness at the moment, hang on.) If my pastor has the Word of God, if my pastor has God's wisdom (a la St Patrick's hymn) then it is for MY benefit, so that God's grace is given to ME. Likewise, when ordination is considered a sacrament, the grace given therein is grace given to ME, even though I am not the one being ordained.

Well, I think it makes sense. Don't know about the rest of you....

No comments:

Post a Comment