Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Today's Dinner

Over three and a half pounds of chuck roast. And we were still hungry after roast, turnips, potatoes, and a gallon of green beans -- we had to dig through the fridge and find some zucchini to stir fry and some fruit to turn into smoothies.

No wonder I never seem to get caught up on cooking.

How are you supposed to know when something has turned the corner from being nicely and thoroughly browned to being burned? When I went to put the potatoes and turnips into the roasting pan, I found almost all my moisture and gravy had evaporated into a thick puddle of goo on the bottom. There was hard black stuff attached to the bottom of the pan. Sounds burned, right? So I carefully removed the meat and the gravy that wasn't stuck to the bottom of the pan. But when I was scrubbing the pot, it seemed that it wasn't really burned, but just very very browned, like as if a couple of cups of water poured into the pot would've been enough to save all that nice brown tasty gravy stuff. I shouldn't've given up on it so quickly, but I didn't want to pollute the veggies by putting them in a pot of burned stuff. Already made that mistake more than once. I just don't know how to know whether it's gone too far or not. I regretted having bailed on the original roasting pan, but the rest of the family thought the dinner was superb anyway.

3 comments:

  1. It's late but I just had to stop by and say hi. I did a double take when I read your comment on my blog: my eldest works at a bookstore, and my son is about to graduate from Concordia in Mequon! What a small world....

    Thanks for stopping by,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought from things you'd said on your blog that your son was probably at CUW. But when you mentioned a Lutheran seminary tonight, then that kinda clinched it. My son-in-law is graduating pre-sem from CUW next month. He probably knows your son! And my daughter's bookstore is a Borders in the outlying Chicago suburbs, so maybe we're still singing "It's a Small World After All."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are never caught up with cooking here either. We too had roast, potatoes, etc last night and you are right - still hungry. Then it is a crazy, busy day so I am wondering when I am going to get much food cooked to make it through this day.

    Sent my CCA registration form in yesterday - SOOO excited. I have always wanted to go. .

    ReplyDelete