Monday, April 23, 2007

Psalm 119:11

"Your word I have hidden in my heart
that I might not sin against You."

I had always thought that this was instruction to memorize God's rules and laws so that we would know how to behave and avoid sin.

What if it's about the word of absolution? What if it's hiding in my heart the assurance that Christ has forgiven me and paid my debt and kept the law for me? What if it's about having that in my heart, such that this word of forgiveness bears fruit that we cleave to Him? What if it's about sin being squelched in our life, not by trying, but by hanging on for dear life to that absolution?

6 comments:

  1. What if it is both?

    What if by knowing God's Word, both law and gospel, the Holy Spirit uses that to lead us away from temptation and to strengthen us in time of trial, and gives us the assurance that we are also forgiven and washed with the blood of Christ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we need to know God's word (both Law and Gospel). Of course we need to learn and memorize both. But I was commenting on the "that I might."

    Either you believe that the Gospel alone makes you good and keeps you from sin (not that the law is unnecessary though). Or you believe that the Law is part of your sanctification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the sake of clarification, which do you believe?

    And if the Gospel alone makes us good, what is the purpose of the Law for the regenerate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that it is the Gospel alone which makes us good and keeps us from sin.

    The Law does not make us good. The Law shows us our sin and the damnable unbelief which continues to plague us even though we are Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Law does not make us good

    I agree with that...

    Sometimes, I think that instead of talking apples and oranges though, we are really talking Braeburns and Galas...

    So since the first step in understanding is defining terms, since you say that the Gospel makes us good, can you please define sanctification?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sanctification = Make Holy

    The Holy Spirit sanctifies. He brings us to faith in Christ for the forgiveness of sins. The Law puts to death the old man. The gospel brings about the fruits of faith.

    ReplyDelete