Tuesday, September 19, 2006

"Your Faith Has Made You Well"

My daughter and her [Roman Catholic] boyfriend went to church up in the city on Sunday. His apartment is only 20 minutes from Peace, Sussex. Much better than where he lived last year, where the nearest Lutheran church was a 75-minute drive.

He hung around after church on Sunday to ask Pastor a question about something that bothered him in the Gospel reading. "Your faith has made you well." That makes it sound like my "trustingness" has made me well. That makes it sound like I did something for God to bless me. But that can't be! So what does this mean?

Wow! My first thought was "he's a kindred spirit -- a man after my own heart!" My second thought was "and you where raised in what church body?"

The Holy Spirit works faith when and where He pleases in those who hear the Gospel! And the Gospel teaches that we have a gracious God, not because of our own merits but because of the merits of Christ. (Maybe I should look up that quote and see that I've got it right. Ah, I'm too lazy. But you get the gist of it anyway.)

I have a feeling this guy is just gonna eat up catechesis with Bender. Class starts in two weeks. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment