Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Kids' Chores

I think one of the hardest parts of momming is teaching the kids to do their chores, and to do them well, and to do them without reminding. We aren't all there yet. The kids are capable of the work, but they usually need prodding and reminding. It takes a whole lot of energy to make certain people keep up with what they're supposed to do.

What stinks is that, at the time I'm shortest of energy and pulled in a gazillion different ways, thus needing them to stick to their responsibilities in a "responsible" way, that is precisely the time I have no energy to enforce the behavior standards. And thus, when I'm busiest, it seems I have more cajoling to do to get them to do the chores, or end up taking the chores back onto myself for the sake of not having to prod and remind.

There must be a better way.

Oh. I know what it is. I could become a gooood Chriiiistian homeschool mommy, and have children who don't have sinful natures, but who always cheerfully serve their parents and siblings, and never fuss or disobey.

Naaaaah. Wouldn't work. Romans 6-7....

5 comments:

  1. I have one child old enough to do chores all alone. I wrote each day's chores in a blank book for her. For more complicated chores, like 'clean the bathroom' I break down the chore into steps to follow. Others like, 'clean cat box' and 'set your alarm clock' are straightforward.

    Every day I still need to remind her to do her daily chores. She rarely does them with a good attitude. She has learned that if I'm not happy with the completed job she will get to do it all over again.

    The book of chores has helped because 1. Our expectations are clearly set out -- there are no surprises, so she does not feel like we are always finding something to keep her from the book or toy she'd rather be spending time with.
    2. I have discovered I can tell her one time each day "Do your chores," or "Are your chores done?" and that will be the end of the reminding. I don't have to nag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as one of those kids who needed the cajoling, it is much appreciated (even if it wasn't then :-P). It's also has made me very well liked at work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well....look who has a blog!

    Hi Susan.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Marie --
    boy, I wish the question "do you have all your chores done?" would be all that it takes.

    In response to Katsuke --
    Genius child dance!! Bragging on my kid -- she was very rapidly trained for her new job -- because she already knew how to do it before she started. Hooray for the company for hiring her! I bet they're glad they looked at "all of her" instead of looking at the one little part that's missing (like all those other businesses seemed to do -- grumble grumble).

    To Polly --
    No, I'm not alone. But all y'all who are in this with me get frustrated with it too, I betcha. But at least I'm not on water-rations. Every time I've turned on the faucet today, I've thought of you.

    To Scott --
    Hi to you too! (Gosh, this is addictive. I knew I should never have started.)

    ReplyDelete