Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Psalm 116

I don't get this. It's the psalm of the week. Maybe after praying it repeatedly throughout the week, I might understand it by Saturday?

The way I'm reading this, verses 10-11 are really quite disjointed from the verses before and after. So is verse 15. And it doesn't seem connected in any way to vv 10-11. I KNOW though that it is one cohesive unit, and that it all goes together. I just don't see how.

It crossed my mind this morning that there might be something to "God has delivered my soul from death." Maybe there's something in the psalm that hits on how we are kept safe even though our bodies face destruction. The soul is delivered from the second death because of dying in baptism. And the body will be restored at the last day, but still must face temporal death to finish off that nasty Old Adam.

And maybe I need to figure out the connection between that and the canticle that we use prior to communion ("What shall I render to the Lord..."). Even if I could make sense of that part in my head, though, I still don't get the "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints" right smack in the middle of the parts of the psalm we use for the canticle.

I hope Pastor is willing to talk about the psalm on Thursday morning at Bible class instead of jumping straight back into Leviticus.

No comments:

Post a Comment