Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Non-Dairy Brownies

If you can't have butter, and if you're trying to turn cocoa powder into fudgy brownies, this worked superbly!

13x9" recipe

1.5 cups white flour
2 cups sugar
10 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 cup coconut oil  or olive oil (solid, not melted)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (if you're not allergic to them)


recipe for 28-35 sq-inches
(I used a a small serving dish for veggies.
A 6" skillet would also work.)
3/8 cup flour (that is, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp)
1/2 cup sugar
2.5 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil or coconut oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla


Put all ingredients into a bowl.  Mix.
Beat for another 3 minutes.
Bake a 13x9 at 350 for 30 minutes,
or the tiny pan for about 25 minutes.

Katie, even Dad liked these ... even with the coconutty taste.  The texture is just as nice as when made with butter.  They're not crumbly.  They're not dry.  Maggie told me not to eat the whole pan. I didn't -- not the whole pan.  I'm still thinking I should give this recipe a try with chilled olive oil, but that experiment hasn't happened yet.

Update from the following day:
We experimented with olive oil instead of coconut oil.  The brownies turned out even better!  I measured the olive oil, poured it into a small bowl, and then refrigerated it until it was a soft solid.   The brownies had a lovely fudgy texture, but without the coconut taste of yesterday's experiment.

2 comments:

  1. If you make the mini recipe, a KitchenAid probably will not mix it: the bowl would be too spread out. I used the hand mixer in my smallest mixing bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter tells me she tried this recipe too. Her trial was with liquid olive oil; she didn't want to wait for the oil to chill to become shortening-consistency. Katie says they turned out great and fudgy.

    ReplyDelete