Monday, May 14, 2012

Lars and the Real Girl

Upon the recommendations of several people, we put Lars and the Real Girl onto our Netflix queue.  Because of the plot description, however, we kept bumping it further down the queue.  We'd watch movies, and over time, Lars would climb back to the top of the list.  Then we'd send it back down to #50 or so.  That happened several times.

Last week the movie arrived in the mailbox.  Oops.  Our list-monitoring slipped through our fingers there for a couple of weeks.  So we went ahead and watched the movie.

Oh. My. Goodness.

It was the best thing I've seen in ages.  It is NOT what you expect, given the premise.  I want so badly to muse upon the story here, but it's the kind of movie that I don't want to ruin for anyone.  (How often do you watch a movie that you honestly have no idea where they're going to go with it?)

It's a movie about love.  It's a movie about mental illness.  It's a movie about family.  One person described it as warm and funny and yet painful.  Yes.  It's sweet in so many ways!

3 comments:

  1. I love how when I clicked on your link it went right to my Netflix account and with one more click I was able to add it to my queue! Of course, we have such a slow rate of movie-watching around here it will probably be years before we get to this one. Maybe I should move it up. But first, we have to get through Mr. Holland's Opus (seen by me and Phillip but not by the kids), Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (seen by me but not everyone else), and Shawshank Redemption (seen by Phillip but no one else).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked about watching this movie a couple years ago at a FML event. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy-nuts-o when I was trying (poorly) to explain what a great movie it was. Glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary asked me who recommended it. I thought it was either you (Erin) or Barb K. Now I know -- and I'm so glad you told us about it!!

    ReplyDelete