Thursday, July 22, 2010

Oh, Fudge!

The whole time we were reading Betsy in Spite of Herself, Maggie and I craved fudge. The teenagers in that story made fudge every time they got together at somebody's house, sometimes twice a day. We kept meaning to treat ourselves to a fudge-session, but either the days were too busy or we had quite enough fat&sugar already to be making fudge. (Uh, that second excuse was definitely mine, and not Maggie's.)

So today, being Maggie's name day,* we made the fudge.

Once upon a time I entered a bunch of cooking/baking items in the county fair. While listening to the judging (which is, incidentally, a great way to learn more about baking!) the other contestants were discussing how hard it is to make fudge in summer. They said fudge was a winter thing. Hmm. I hadn't had any problem with fudge in the summer. Turned out the same for me regardless of the season.

Not today.

Never had a problem with fudge until about five years ago, and I don't think I've gotten a batch right since. Now, this is darn tasty fudge. But it has the consistency, stretchiness, and stickiness of a caramel.

Maybe I should buy a new candy thermometer. Or maybe I should use the candy thermometer only for a guide and be sure always --every time-- to test the candy to make sure I'm not overcooking or undercooking according to the naughty thermometer. Fudge cooked to the firm ball stage is a lot stickier than caramel cooked to the same temp!


* July 22 is the Feast of St Mary Magdalene.

No comments:

Post a Comment