Friday, April 17, 2009

Wasted Day

There was nearly a yard of fabric left over from the bridesmaid dress. Maggie wanted it to become a matching shawl or a shrug to wear in case it wasn't very warm ... or if it is very warm next week she might need it to keep from shivering in air conditioning at the reception.

Things have not been looking very bright to me this week in the first place. I want to clean, but I couldn't do it without picking up all the sewing things first. So I figured that making the shrug needed to come before cleaning the living room. But I also needed to make bread today. And we're out of granola and tortillas. And there were errands to do. The project for the weekend is supposed to be re-arranging the garage, which has never been "moved in" yet but has been a dumping grounds and needs desperate help so we can find something, anything, anything at all, out there. On top of that, it was an utterly gorgeous day, and what I forlornly wished for was the opportunity to just sit outside in the sun, read a magazine, and do nothing. I need a little "doing nothing" right now. But I can't.

So I resolutely set aside the things I wanted to accomplish, and I set aside the silly wish to soak up sun-rays and blow off the day indulging myself. When I dropped off the kids at Kara's house for a homeschoolers' movie-making project, Kara and Laura invited me to spend the day laughing and chatting with them under the guise of Mary's birthday pizza-party. But I was self-controled and headed home to sew.

It didn't work. The large pattern that I got off the internet turned out to be way too small. Even with changing the sleeve seams to the slimmest little seam allowance possible, Maggie couldn't fit her hands through the wrist openings. There's no salvaging this project. Not only did I not clean, not only did I not bake bread, not only are the errands undone and the apple drawer empty and the cats nearly out of food, but if I was going to waste the entire day ...

couldn't I have at least wasted it by sitting on the deck with a book?

2 comments:

  1. I have had days like that . . . boy, have I had days like that. They stink, don't they? Try to be "responsible" and then discover that had you been "irresponsible" you would have more to show for it. Good old 20/20 hindsight. When that happens to me I try to tell myself it can't be helped and I just need to let it go and move on. Notice I said "try."

    Sorry the day was such a bust. Maybe you can take comfort in the knowledge that you exhibited admirable self-discipline and that you maybe learned something about sewing that may be useful in the future?

    (See, there I go, ignoring my own advice as I continue looking backward and trying to come up with something that might make you feel better.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the worst.

    I think you need to take tomorrow off with a book to make up for it, which is probably why you accomplish as much in a day as I do in a week. :)

    ReplyDelete