Thursday, March 19, 2009

Psalm 51:8

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean.
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me hear joy and gladness,
that the bones You have broken may rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.


HEAR joy and gladness?

Usually we talk about joy and gladness being something we FEEL. Not hear. How does a person hear joy and gladness?

I betcha it's got something to do with the absolution and the sacraments. The hyssop and the washing -- connected to the worship at the tabernacle. Sacramental almost.

Make me hear joy and gladness.

My sins, O Lord, against me rise,
I mourn them with contrition.
Grant, though Thy death and sacrifice,
to me a full remission.
Lord, show before the Father's throne
that Thou didst for my sins atone;
so shall I from my load be freed.
Thy Word I plead.
Keep me, O Lord, each hour of need.
(TLH 319)


Yup.
That'd be "hearing joy and gladness."

No comments:

Post a Comment