Saturday, June 28, 2008

Plink!

I love the sound when canning jars seal. Plink! I love the way the color of the jam turns from cloudy to ruby-red crystal when the sugar is added to the boiling fruit/sugar mix. I love making jelly. After purchasing frozen strawberries (instead of getting the ultra-premium taste that comes from picking your own from the berry patch) today I made 12 half-pints of jam and 7 12-ouncers. That ought to last these folks a little while.

Katie and Nathan arrived last night for a weekend visit. So did Paul's Rachel. It's been great to have them here! Today Rachel came to visit too. So did Laura and Ben. And this wonderful companionship and family-ness is why we looked for a house with a kitchen big enough for loads of people to hang out in together while work is being done!

Gary has made a lot of headway on the deck -- turning the worn and weathered boards over, getting the bottom sides (now the tops) of the planks sanded and re-placed, awaiting dry weather when we will be able to put down sealant.

Mosquitoes are unbelievable. I guess that comes with flooding.

We're in the process of getting a new computer. It's actually an "old" computer that is WAY newer than our old one. Nathan, the computer guru, set it up for us today, and did all the work of moving my bookmarks and installing programs and making it a painless transition for me (in other words, a barely noticeable change-over). He also let me know about some spyware that had slunk onto the old computer past the spy-bot. I had finally gotten caught up with the world's ways and started online banking, and now I think I'd better go and change all my passwords and user-names. Oh, gosh, it makes me nervous to even think about it. But I'm glad he caught it so that I don't continue on my merrily blind way of walking straight into identity theft or other scams. As for the new computer, the speed blows me away. Not too long after I started looking at gmail, Nathan asked if I liked the increased speed. And honestly, I hadn't noticed much improvement. But then later I moved to another program, and those fresh windows were popping up at a shocking speed! Wow, I'm going to get spoiled!

Stemms, Drivers, and Fischers for dinner tomorrow after church. Sounds like good times, lots of love, and lots of laughing!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the great dinner today. We enjoyed it a lot. I was telling Nathan just a few minutes ago that we both got home and immediately went to take a nap. LOL, our normal Sunday's include going to church, coming home and either making sandwiches or getting fast food, then playing on the computer. So today was a bit different and we were worn out by the time we got home. You guys are great to hang out with. But that many people in one room really does overwhelm some of us that are used to two people. :) Still great though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying your new home with your loved ones.

    Saw an article this morning that made me think of you. Weren't you saying a while back that you liked the clothes worn by the Mormon women whose children were taken away from them by the Feds? If so, here's how you can buy those clothes, as the women have started a business selling the clothes so they can support themselves:

    http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9737603

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty dresses! Barbara's got the link for the article, but here's the link for the website with the clothes themselves.

    ReplyDelete