Wednesday, June 25, 2008

From Symposium (2)

Stem cell research was discussed last week at the catechetical symposium in Waukesha. There was one comment made in passing that I found quite interesting. There is apparently a theory that cancer is caused by adult stem cells run amok. Even when we're done being little embryos, everybody (babies and kids and adults) still have stem cells. Although the point of stem cells is that they are changeable, so that they can heal or repair parts of the body, there can be too much of a good thing. If these grow too fast and grow out of control, this may be the explanation for cancer.

Kinda makes you wonder about how the doctors and scientists would control the stem cells they use in cures so that cancer doesn't become as an intended consequence.

3 comments:

  1. There is some partial truth that stem cells are involved in cancer, but it's not entirely true. Cancers are caused by many things some genetic, some environmental, etc. Most are caused by a mutation in one or more genes so that cells fail to function as God has designed them. However, not all cancers are derived by stem cells. Sometimes the process occurs in cells that are more mature for whatever reason.

    BTW, can you email me? (luvable)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification. I thought I'd said that, y'know, that some cancers can be caused by stem cells, but that the stem cells going crazy wasn't the full & total explanation. But when I went back and looked at the post, I hadn't made that clear. So I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for emailing.... um, no I don't think I can. The email program on the new computer was the one thing Nathan didn't get to, and I don't have addresses on the new computer, and no idea how to contact you. I hate to put my email address here for you to contact me (web-crawlers and all that jazz), so how about I put it this way: my first initial and our last name followed by the numeral one, and then "at" wi.rr.com. And then once you get the address, let me know and I'll delete this comment.

    ReplyDelete