Sunday, May 11, 2008

I Didn't Want to See That

We were watching Elizabeth tonight. It looked like a good history story, a review of the people we read about last fall & winter in one of our schoolbooks. And it might've been a very good movie ... except for about 3 minutes scattered throughout a few scenes that were just way too explicit or had too much nudity. Those scenes make me blush, and I don't want to see that. Furthermore, I don't want my kids seeing it either, the kids that I made watch the movie for the sake of reviewing kings, queens, earls, dukes, and political wrangling.

I want to say, "WHY do they do that?" in Hollywood, but I know the answer. I guess the real question is, "How do I know what's really in the movie before I watch it?" That's what ratings are supposedly for, but they aren't exactly helpful and consistent.

Update: A friend let me know about a site that gives detailed descriptions of things parents may want to know about a movie, whether there is smoking, tense family scenes, sex, violence, etc. You have the option to say "no, thanks, I don't want to join" and still check to see if there's a movie review available to non-members. When you click to see "all movies" or "all videos," you then click on the first letter of the title to check out the list of reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Smoking?

    ...::blinks::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sayin' that I'm worried about my kids seeing somebody who smokes. Just sayin' that that's one of the things reported on the website....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've used Focus on the Family's "Plugged In" website, too, to get a quick heads up on what we're in for.

    It's real good at describing what and how much you're going to see, and what "flavor" you'll be seeing, and leaving it up to you to decide if it's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like www.kids-in-mind.com

    It gives the nitty gritty with a numerical rating system as far as sex, violence and profanity go as well as a play by play of the whole film, plus, it's free.

    We saw a great film this weekend called _Bella_. It was incredibly moving and I recommend it highly. It is pro-life and the producers had a hard time getting it distributed. That gave us a clue that it was worthwhile:)

    ReplyDelete