Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Work of Moving

We have the usual: cleaning and packing and making decisions. What caught me off-guard was the amount of cleaning. I thought the new house looked well taken care of and clean. But the previous owners smoked, and the bucketfuls of wash-water come out a whole lot dirtier than anticipated. So the cleaning is taking longer than expected. We also have a lot of laundry to do this week. Not only are there piles of cleaning cloths, but there's also loads and loads of blankets and jackets and other non-weekly (not even monthly) laundry to be freshened. The septic system at the new house needs to be replaced, so it's important that we not overload it and cause it to fail. That means a laundromat will become a major feature in my life for the next 7-12 weeks. That means I want to get all the wash done NOW, while I still can run a machine without putting quarters into it.

It was nice to have some extra hands come and help with the cleaning today. Of course, there has to be visiting amidst the scrubbing. Mouths can work at the same time as hands. Thank you, Laura and Mary and Rachel!

1 comment:

  1. Susan,

    I am glad we were able to get out there to see the place and provide some helping hands. It is a great house and will be filled with happy memories and laughter...I was going to say soon, but that has already started. :) It does seem it will be a place of peace...and warmth, Wisconsin winters won't seem so harsh anymore. I am so happy and relieved for all of you!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete