Monday, March 03, 2008

Otoscope

Andrew had another ear infection early this year. At that point, I wanted to write this post but didn't get around to it. A friend took her son to the doctor today to check for an ear infection. When she said, "If only I had an otoscope, I could look at his ears myself," I decided I really wanted to get this posted publicly.

Two of my children have problems with outer ear infections due to wax build-up (due to oddly shaped ear canals). After a couple of ER visits, I learned how to deal with the wax problem the way the doctors do. But one of the important tools is the otoscope: you have know when to keep flushing the ear and when it's clean enough to stop, and looking through an otoscope tells you what you need to know.

So I investigated otoscopes. The Dr Mom otoscope is the friend of any bright mother. When the child goes to the doctor with an ear infection, ask to see through the doctor's otoscope. Begin to learn what an ear infection looks like. (The Dr Mom website also gives some illustrations.) The otoscope can tell you when a child's ears are clear as can be. It can tell you when there's an outer ear infection. It can show when the ear drums are getting stuffy with allergies. It can show when there's infection that might spur you to make an appointment with the doctor posthaste. These things are, like, 25 bucks, and that includes shipping. If you can avoid even one co-pay for the doctor, you've paid for the otoscope. Mine is about five years old and still works just great. This is something I wish I'd known about much earlier in my mommy-days. It saves time and it saves money, and sometimes it allows a sick child stay home in comfort instead of sitting in a doctor's office getting exposed to more germs "just in case" he might need the amoxicillin.

6 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I had known about these about 10-15 years ago when my youngest was a baby (were they available back then?). He had a terrible problem with ear infections and it seemed we were running into the doctor's office every few months. I got so hypersensitive about it that all he had to do was wince a little and I was on the phone. The other two children haven't been as prone to infections, so with them I have tended to try to wait it out to see if things get better on their own (and they often do). But then there's that nagging worry--am I gonna be awakened in the middle of the night by a child writhing in pain from a rapidly progressed infection? This otoscope thing would address that worry! Thanks for the tip! (I had no idea such a thing was available--wonder why it's such a well-kept secret?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    Maybe ask Matt more about it, but the new medical trend among pediatricians only to treat "bad" ear infections. My own doctor (who I LOVE LOVE LOVE) did not give Lily meds for her last ear infection because she said that it "not bad enough". The infection got better on its own. I don't know where the line between not so bad and bad is, but thought you would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, usually I wait out ear infections too. Or treat them with garlic and/or onion. But for those folks who do go get the prescriptions, or for when we have a particularly nasty one here, the otoscope helps Mom decide when to head to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    I didn't know those things were so cheap. The doctor I saw told me the same thing Erin heard regarding letting little infections go...but Ben's get so bad, I don't think we would end up letting it go. I think these will be great things for our kids to have with our grand kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just catching on comments here and read mine again . . . I meant to say 10-15 years ago when my OLDEST was a baby! Gee, nature is aging me fast enough on its own without my helping it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's one priced even a little lower:
    http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534077&parentCategoryId=85180&categoryId=85200&subCategoryId=117218

    ReplyDelete