Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tongue

Last time I cooked beef tongue, I put it in the crockpot with barbecue sauce. It tasted fine, but it was way too tender. Almost like a custard or pudding.

Today's attempt turned out better. I cooked the tongue, covered, in a small amount of water for about 30 minutes. This water was disposed of. Then I skinned the meat and sliced it. It was then simmered for about 45-60 minutes in more water, with some onion slices, salt, pepper, garlic, red wine, and Emeril's Essence.

I think we were all prepped for a plate of edible beef, knowing that we would have cherry-filled and streusel-topped coffee cake to reward ourselves for managing to eat the tongue. But the tongue turned out GREAT. Gotta remember that for next year's tongue.

3 comments:

  1. Cold tongue sandwiches were always a treat at my grandma's when I was a kid. I have NO idea how she made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you cooked it the second time, did you use just a small amount of water - or water to cover tongue? Virginia Krueger wants to know. Also, what is in Emeril's Essence? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a small amount of water; I didn't cover it. Emeril's Essence can be purchased in the spice section of the grocery store. But I just throw a batch together in a canning jar, since I always have all the ingredients on hand. It's paprika and garlic and onion powder and salt and pepper and stuff like that. If you click on the words "Emeril's Essence" in the blogpost, it takes you to a link with the recipe for it. Gary has totally fallen in love with it. He used to be okay with poached white fish (one of the "fast food" options around here) but now he LOVES it with the E's E on it! We put it on fish, poultry, beef, and even on/in rice. Maggie thinks it's a little too hot. But if you made your own, you could go light on the salt and the cayenne.

    ReplyDelete