Monday, March 24, 2008

Corks

There is a reason wine bottles are topped with corks instead of screw-on lids. If the wine was not fully fermented prior to bottling, it is possible for a tiny bit of fermentation to continue after bottling. Problem is, fermentation puts off carbon dioxide, and that gas needs to go somewhere. If the bottle is topped by a cork, the cork can blow and the wine can spill out. If the bottle is not topped by a cork, the only thing left is for the glass bottle to explode.

Yesterday was awful. It took me until after 10:30 this morning to manage to force myself out of bed to face another day. I made it all the way to the couch to sit down with Maggie and watch a Schlessinger video about life in pioneer days. At the end of the video came a loud crash from the kitchen and the sound of glass breaking. Assuming the cat had naughtily jumped on the counter and knocked down about $30 worth of oversized (and hard-to-find) glass jars that were drying and hadn't yet been put away, we ran to see what was up.

It would've been better if the cat had broken the jars.

We had received a gift of homemade black raspberry wine. It exploded. It had a cork. I don't know why the cork didn't blow out and why the glass gave way instead. That whole cupboard was full of broken glass, and sticky ant-enticing wine was sprinkled and poured over everything. With three of us working, it took an hour to clean up the glass and spills.

However, black raspberry juice stains. The white kitchen walls are stained with the spray of the wine. The only paint-can downstairs is for the bathroom. I don't know how I'm going to match the kitchen paint. Given the nature of the house, I'm not going to be able to paint the stained walls, but will have to do the whole kitchen, the hallway, and one wall of the living room. I think I can get by with ignoring the stairwell to the basement which really should be done to match the kitchen, but wouldn't absolutely have to be.

I can't believe this. When I can't even keep up with the basic necessities of life (food and laundry), I get to do all the work associated with moving, and now, while the to-do list daily grows longer and never shorter, I need to paint several rooms too.

4 comments:

  1. A few thoughts...

    Contact the previous owners and ask them where they bought the paint. It looks like your basic white-ish color...get the same brand and it should match well. I touch up all the time.

    If you can't get the same color/brand...get some paint strips and try to match as close as you can. You don't have to paint the whole room...you can stop at a corner. If the color is pretty close you really won't be able to tell unless you stop the color in the middle of a wall. I'll bet you didn't know our kitchen and utility room are different colors?

    Have you tried a magic eraser? (I'd try on little spot first...it can leave a rub mark.)

    Talk to a paint guy...see if he has any suggestions for removing stain.

    And ya know what...you can leave the paint for awhile until life is more settled. This is not an urgent need...it is something that may nag at you 'cause it is not the way you wanted it to be...but it can wait.

    I knew a friend in Reedsburg who made a milk shake in her blender which shot off chocolate all over her kitchen. The wall was stained for years...she cleaned it all up, but it was stained. She just got good at telling the story...then it became no big deal, what was more important was sitting around her kitchen table catching up with each others lives.

    I am so sorry that you have another thing to add to you list. I am going to have some time off from my babysitting job...perhaps when school is out and the kids can play in the backyard, I can come over and help you paint...'cause you know I love to paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a Murphy-type law that states that food explosions in kitchens must involve the color red? (Purple is close enough) I once was swirling up beets in the blender for my baby daughter only (in a distracted mommy moment) to stick the wooden spoon in too soon resulting in baby food beets covering walls, ceilings, baby and me! Ugh. The latest was an exploding bottle of some kind of unnaturally red protein drink. Fortunately the wallpaper was pretty forgiving. How about painting the kitchen a nice deep red?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Susan! I know this does not help you, but if I was close, I would help you! I Love to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The walls can wait until you're in a better frame of mind. It'll give you a story to tell your guests :) Just after moving into our first house we were painting the hallway a bright blue. Somehow the drop cloth got moved and I stepped onto the paint flinging it down the hallway all over the light beige carpet. It took us over a year to get into a position to replace the carpet. At first I was so frustrated I cried, eventually I laughed while telling the story to friends who asked. Transitions are so difficult, things will get better. I continue to keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete