Thursday, March 27, 2008

Recently

Maggie got a gmail account and has been chatting chatting chatting with everybody she can get a hold of. If she gets a hold of you and won't hush and won't take a hint that you have other responsibilities, please be "rude" and tell her you have to go. But if you don't mind chatting, I suppose the writing-time does her no harm!

The wonderful guy at the local Ace Hardware matched my kitchen paint for me with his wonderful little machine. It's such a good match that I'm going to get by with painting just a 10' stretch of wall. The spattered cupboard insides are done, and all the contents of that huge cupboard tucked away again -- instead of congregating on the meal table and the kitchen counters and various locations of the kitchen floor. The cubby for the refrigerator is also painted, so the fridge is no longer sitting in the middle of the room either.

Got drivers licenses changed.
Registered to vote.
Rachel got a job.
Bought Andrew jeans so that he can go out in public now without exposing his naked little knees.
Skipped church last night as we didn't get home from errands until a few minutes before service started.

Watched Enchanted on Monday. It was superb; it even made me laugh a couple of times. And with how things went on Sunday and Monday, that's saying a whole lot!

Wednesday is dollar-day at the laundromat, so I took all the sheets and washed them yesterday. The weather cooperated so I could dry them on the line. Normally I can only wash 2-4 loads a day, so that I don't end up with a back-up of wet clothes awaiting their turn in the dryer. (Oh, we will luv luv luv it when the new septic is installed and we can return to using water less frugally.)

Got nothing accomplished today but mailing some packages, getting an oil change, and preparing a birthday dinner. Thankfully, my day wasn't spent wielding a snow shovel as the forecasters had threatened.

3 comments:

  1. Yay on the paint! And the movie! And the gmail account! And the jeans! And Rachel's job! And getting drivers' licenses and voters' registrations and laundry done!

    And if I might say so, mailing packages, getting an oil change and preparing a birthday dinner doesn't sound like "nothing" to me. Isn't that enough for one day? Pat yourself on the back and let someone bring you a nice tall glass of kombucha (or maybe a little short glass of Southern Comfort)! You're doing great! (Sorry, I guess I'm just feeling exclamatory today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe those accomplishments don't sound like "nothing" to you. And if there weren't so many things piled up on the to-do list, it would be an okay slow-day for normal. But if I keep on having regularly productive days, then the old house will never get emptied, the stuff in boxes will never get put away, and the other move-in projects will sit there undone.

    Can I vote for a nice tall glass of Southern Comfort? My kombucha isn't brewing properly here. The basement is too too cold. When I went to bottle last Monday's batch, it wasn't ready. Waited four more days, and it's still not ready today. Eeeeks -- I'm running short of full bottles and developing a backlog of empties. I brought the brew-jars upstairs and set them on the fireplace hearth, hoping to speed up the brew-rate. I don't want my kombucha going bad and getting moldy. If I run out of my kombucha, things will be very very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I understand what you mean. As if life weren't full enough just trying to do the daily stuff--add to that the longer-term task list (which never seems to get any smaller, since for every thing you check off it seems two more are added), not to mention everything associated with the move, and it must seem insurmountable. I have found at such times that one thing that seems to help me is kind of a "triage" approach--if I try to wrap myself around the totality of what needs to be done, it is just paralyzing because I can't imagine how I will ever manage it. But if I just ask, what must I do right now today to get through the next hour? and focus on that, and then once that task is done think about the next most pressing thing, and continue in that fashion, continually reminding myself of what I did manage to get done (even if it's only the laundry and the dishes), somehow I get through the day. We are only human and we only have so much energy to give and hours in which to expend it, and all we can do is prioritize and try to take things one at a time.

    I know--it's not an answer, just a coping mechanism. But I have found that it helps me a little.

    I hope the new fermenting location proves successful!

    ReplyDelete