Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Schedule

Again this week, we shipped off Gary to Milwaukee with a suitcase packed for the whole week. The weather forecast looks like the only time safe to drive home will be Wednesday night, and that's church night. When you're used to having a husband/daddy around for meals, as well as five minutes here and there to pop in with the mail or to come get a refill on his water jug, it's pretty hard to switch over to seeing him for an hour on Friday evening, lunch on Saturday, an hour on Saturday evening, and some time on Sunday afternoon/evening. And then Monday morning you get to ship him off to live somewhere else for five days. I don't know how soldiers' wives and truckers' wives do it.

4 comments:

  1. My dh travels a lot. After 20 yrs I thought I'd get used to it, but I haven't. I still cry when he leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally empathizing with you, Susan. My handsomer half has been gone since Thursday morning. He will be flying in this morning but then will go straight to work. Between his schedule and mine, I won't get to see him until tonight after church (I'm missing service tonight because of playing for a choir concert--the other thing I mentioned to you that I'm doing is after that, by which time my hubby will be home with the children. I hope to be able to kiss him goodnight!)

    Hang in there, my friend. Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard when they're gone a lot. It's even harder when you're accustomed to having them around. Colin has always traveled a lot, but during the 18 months we lived in Columbus, he was at least home a lot when he was in town. That's why when we moved back to the burbs--and the three hours of commuting a day on top of the 11 hour workdays--the not seeing him seemed so much worse.

    So we moved here. He still travels almost every week, but at least we see him when he's home.

    Hang in there, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. DH was a truck driver for our entire marrage and you do get used to it but there are quite a few times that you wish he didn't have to go. Now that DH is in university there are days that I wish that he was driving, LOL just kidding, it is an adjustment having him home everyday and me out working. It has been and still is an adjustment. Thank goodness for phones. :-)

    ReplyDelete