Saturday, October 27, 2007

Creme Brulee

After a gazillion times of watching High School Musical, we decided to try making "the perfect creme brulee." Well, not the perfect one, but just a stab at it.

Basically, first you make the custard and chill it. Then you put on the brown sugar top and melt/caramelize/burn it. We put it under the broiler. Didn't work well at all. It tasted like custard with an over-toasted marshmallow on top. We decided that apple Betty was better.

Now I'm curious as to what a "perfect creme brulee" tastes like. Would it be as good as I wished, or would I still think that banana cream pie, or a Snickers, or Julie's apple cake are better desserts?

5 comments:

  1. I don't know Susan, I've had divine Creme Brulee and I've had awful creme Brulee. Sometimes it's just the recipe, but I'm pretty sure the broiler carmelizing ruined what you had. That burnt flavor can ruin the whole thing. I've only made it a couple of time and used my husband's huge blow torch. The kids were certain I was going to burn down the house. If you don't have a kitchen torch, making a great dessert is much harder.

    I don't know what to tell you except that a great creme brulee sends me into complete ecstasy! For other people it's no big deal. And Apple Betty is a pretty yummy dessert and much easier to make. If you come to my house, I'll make a creme brulee for you and you can decide. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Well, I have no torch, so I guess I'll have to try it at your house. It does sound like something I'd utterly adore ... because there's caramel on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you come to Fort Wayne I'm taking you out for a fantastic creme brulee. :) When it's good it is almost swoon-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to get in a few days at my kids' place next weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When are you coming? I'm going to be gone Friday evening to Sunday late afternoon, coming home briefly for church Sunday morning.

    Oh yeah, you've been tagged. :)

    ReplyDelete