Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pink Eye

I woke up this morning with the worst case of pink-eye I've had in over a decade. Now that I look back, I realize I had a few minor symptoms yesterday and the day before, but didn't notice them to do anything about it.

This morning I started with our regular pink-eye treatment: wash your hands well about every 30-45 minutes, and then spend about a minute totally sloshing and dousing the eyeball with fresh running water. It didn't seem to be helping as much as usual. So I tried something new: garlic the Wonder Cure.

I cut a slab of raw garlic and taped it onto my bottom eyelid. Since the skin is very thin there, I put a very thin layer of vaseline on my eyelid first, so as to decrease the burn of the garlic. And it did feel mighty hot! After an hour, I washed my eyes again and used a band-aid to attach another slab of fresh raw garlic. Now I'm seeing some improvement in the pinkness, swelling, and goopiness. Hooary for garlic!

5 comments:

  1. The things I learn from you on loopers and here is amazing! How you have time to discover it all is a wonder to me.

    I appreciate you sharing so much for the rest of us to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Susan--I got hit with pink eye yesterday. Of course, I took a totally different approach and high-tailed it to the doctor today! (I have a history of iritis--a chronic eye disorder--so I don't mess around with my eyes. Also, I have had a cold that went into a sinus infection so I am now armed with an antibiotic as well.)

    I don't know if I should tell you that Phil had pink eye while at Higher Things. I'm sorry if this is our fault! Hope we feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you taking pictures? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again, Susan--just wanted to clarify--I didn't mean to imply that I think you're "messing around" with your eye treatment--if not for my history I would try it--but my iritis, which I have struggled with through much of my adulthood (it has been in remission for a few years now), was first misdiagnosed (and thus mistreated) as pink eye, allowing it to initially progress much further than it otherwise would have. So I have spent long periods of time over the years using steroidal eye drops which in turn caused tiny cataracts in both of my eyes. Anyway, that's why when my eyes show signs of anything resembling pink eye I am in the doctor's office the next day.

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those garlic "burns" on my eyelid... they were actually very minor burns. I now have skin that's peeling ever-so-slightly, not unlike a slight sunburn. It was worth it to me, to heal up the infection. But had I kept putting on fresh garlic all day instead of just twice, I think the burns would've been pretty icky.

    ReplyDelete