Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Chicory

In late June, I started smelling that lovely, spicy perfume again. Most flowers smell sweet, but there's that one time of year when the countryside is full of that spicy smell. I was never sure what it was. But I did note this year that that was about the time the chicory had started blooming, and the only other thing out right then was the sweet clover. About a week later, the red clover and the Queen Anne's lace started blooming too.

Today the county mowers made their semi-annual trek down the highway, laying waste the "weeds" that grow up alongside the road. And the wonderful spicy smell was back temporarily. It must be the chicory. Thing is, sniffing a chicory flower doesn't seem to have that same wonderful odor. So I'm not sure whether I've got the right plant pegged for the perfume, or if it's just that so many thousands of them blooming at the same time makes for a smell that can't be detected when you've got your nose stuck into ONE bloom.

3 comments:

  1. And why is it that chicory seems grow in such a narrow band alongside the roadway? It creates the most wonderful effect, bordering the tarmac like strip-quilted stripes of blue on either side, but why? Do they love road salt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm not mistaken, that smell comes from the stems. When they're the only thing blooming, and they're in huge number, that vague scent en masse is more prominent, and then when they cut it down, it's all yummy.

    I don't drink coffee (can't have caffeine) and I like the smell of regular coffee, but there's NOTHING like the smell of roasted chicory and coffee brewing in the morning. Mmmmm...

    When we move somewhere cooler (please!!) I want to plant tons of chicory in their own little section of the garden. Ahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>If I'm not mistaken, that smell comes from the stems.<<

    That would explain why the smell is so strong even before I can see the ribbons of chicory down the side of the road. The strongest smell is when a few have started blooming, but before there are masses of them. Which also happens to be before most of the other summer flowers start in.

    ReplyDelete