Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Grocery Prices

I love my grocery store. I love the way Woodmans was run when Mr Woodman was still alive. And from a customer's perspective, it hasn't gone downhill since he died a few years ago. Any time we go visiting elsewhere, I am thankful for Mr Woodman.

When Katie and Nathan moved to Fort Wayne, we made a trip to the grocery store to fill the cupboards and fridge. I gasped at the prices. They gasped at the prices. They were thrilled with the low prices at Walmart. I was horrified at the high prices at Walmart. Same prices, doncha know....

One of the stores in our county had some super-duper ultra-low-price wonderful coupons that they mailed out recently, trying to draw people into the market that is now under new management. I saw the prices on the coupons and thought they were acceptable. Stopped by today while I was in town to grab 3# of brats for $7. Not cheap, but an okay price. Do you know what they charge normally? Four dollars a pound! Same for the chicken breasts that I splurged on. They advertised 2.75# for $7, but it turned out that it was only 2.38#. (That business of switching prices from the coupon to the reality, or from the shelf to the check-out lane, has bugged me before. It's illegal. And it does nothing to engender customer satisfaction. Especially when they are totally nonplussed when you point it out to them.)

This summer I started noticing prices at other grocery stores. I think we would have to increase our grocery budget by $300 per month if we lived somewhere where Woodmans was unavailable. Wikipedia lists the cities in Wisconsin and northern Illinois where there are currently Woodmans markets. But don't let the Wiki post scare you away: I almost always find the quality of produce, meat, and dairy to be superior to the local "regular" grocery stores.

3 comments:

  1. It says they're building a store in Oak Creek, which is halfway between me and the Kenosha store!

    YAY!!! There will be a Woodmans 15 minutes away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only have one Super Walmart in the "area" but it's a 2 hour drive. The prices are better than the grocery stores but not as good as they are in other parts of the country. I've found that it really does pay to look around. The market Paul works for is almost 2 times more expensive than the market we frequent. Both are very large chains with stores scattered over a number of states. We gave up shopping at the locally owned markets because they are so much more than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh*
    I miss Woodman's. It is the only grocery store that has ever been able to compete with the Commissary and win (for this I-don't-shop-ten-stores-for-sales shopper, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete