Saturday, June 23, 2007

"Singing the Devil Away" (13)

Back to the Gerhardt hymn translated by Kleinig...

I am God's and He is mine;
Who can ever part us?
Even if the cross slips in
painfully between us,
let it be because it comes
from my God who loves me,
making, in His time, a door
open up before us.


I started noticing that "I am yours, and you are mine" was often used in connection to wedding rites. It's used between lovers. It's in Shakespeare and in Luther. It's in modern love songs. It's also used in some monastic vows.

The phrase comes up in hymns. "Lord, my Shepherd, take me to Thee. Thou art mine; I was Thine, even ere I knew Thee" (from Why Should Cross and Trial Grieve Me). "Thou art my heart's most beautous Flower, and Thy blest gospel's saving power my raptured soul engages. Thou mine, I Thine. Sing hosanna" (from How Lovely Shines the Morning Star).

The previous stanza of Gerhardt's hymn reflects on Satan's utter inability to override what God has established. This stanza goes on to be explicit about what God has established: that we are joined to Him. And even if trouble should come [if? ha! when is more like it...] it will work for our good.

No comments:

Post a Comment