Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hot Flashes

Warning: this is a girly post. Guys have been forewarned.

Several months ago, I somehow discovered that I usually only get hot flashes and night sweats when I eat in the evening. But of course, I forgot. (After all, these days I forget EVERYthing!) We eat dinner in the early afteroon. Sometimes I fast in the evening. Sometimes I have a couple of eggs and a slice of toast. Sometimes I have a smoothie, or a small amount of leftovers. Seldom a whole meal. So I had no experiences reminding me of this discovery I made.

This is not how the rest of America operates, however. Five nights in the last two weeks, I was out there, socializing in The Real World, and ate a whole meal at 7:00 or later. Every time I ended up soaking my jammies with sweat.

Now, I don't know if this is just me, or if this is something that effects most women. And even if it did, would most women even be able to adjust their meal schedule so as to alleviate hot flashes? And would it be worth it to forego dinner with the family, if evening is the only time the family can eat together? But if it's possible, it sure does seem like a much easier way to deal with night sweats than the standard drugs/hormones that people get from their doctors.

(Chalk up another bizarre little benefit to homeschooling: dinner mid-day!)

3 comments:

  1. I've had this happen several times, but have never made a food connection. It's been rare enough that it hasn't been a nuisance. I'll be paying closer attention to see if eating late is a factor. I'm just shy of 33 - I doubt they're "real" hot flashes. (Though I suppose they *could* be! Oy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awfully young for those to be menopausal hot flashes. Although it's not unheard of...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that evening primrose controlled the hot flashes pretty well.

    And while 33 is pretty young, my cycle started going wacky at 36 :0

    ReplyDelete