Friday, May 04, 2007

Wedding Dresses

Two girls who both intended to wear my wedding dress. When Katie and Rachel were looking for Rachel's bridesmaid dress last summer, Katie found a white prom dress that begged her, "Please, please, buy me and wear me for your wedding." So she acquiesced to the dress's demands, plunked down $30, and brought home a very nice dress.

We could claim last night was deja vu ... except for the physical proof of yet another wedding dress appearing in the house. Looking for Katie's bridesmaid dress last night, a dress whispered in Rachel's ear, insisting that it be tried on. So she did. And she too brought home a very pretty dress.

Good thing those girls made both their ventures on their own, without Mom. If I'd been along, my frugality would've definitely been the wet blanket: why spend money on a wedding dress (even if it's only $50 or $30) when there's one at home that fits and looks nice on you? But they have gorgeous dresses, and they had fun doing the shopping.

2 comments:

  1. What smart girls! I also wore a white prom dress for my wedding. No regrets! My mom's dress was, to put it mildly, horrifyingly dated, and would've required substantial alterations. I wore her crinoline, though! And we used her cake top, too. No way was I going to spend $75 for a bit of white plastic and lace.

    I have a theory that the success of a marriage is inversely proportional to the amount of money spent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh. I think I like your theory.

    Rachel tried on the dress this evening and showed Matt and her father. Several people here gasped in fake shock that the groom was seeing the bride in the dress. We decided that my husband saw me, my son-in-law saw my daughter, and that maybe it's GOOD luck.

    ReplyDelete