Thursday, December 07, 2006

Frustrations of Car Shopping

I bought my Camry two and a half years ago. Today I was looking at cars. Some of them were the same make, model, and year as my 97 Camry. But the sticker-price was more than double what I paid for mine back then. I think I'm going to have to see if I can limit autotrader.com to telling me "private" ads and no dealerships.

The sales tricks and manipulation drive me nuts. I can see right through them, and the "tricks" offend me. The one that ticked me off the most was when I came back from a test-drive. The salesman with me noticed another salesman on the lot. He called to the other guy and said, "Here are the keys for that customer you have who's interested in test-driving this Honda." For a half a second, my heart panicked. But I like this car! Then I realized that that's precisely what the salesman intended. He wanted to rush me. There was no one waiting to look at that car. No one had been there before me. No one could've become interested in it while it was gone because I was out driving it. No customers were around. It was just a LIE. And as my children can testify, there isn't anything I hate more than lies! I'm quite sure we're not going to go back there and purchase the Honda, but if we were to do so, I would insist on a different salesman. I sure ain't gonna "reward" a guy for trying to scam me.

1 comment:

  1. I love my honda and it is very dependable, but I was disappointed with some of the scams at Napletons. I would venture to another dealer next time (maybe Zimbrick?).

    I also saw that Sam's club has some sort of auto deal with local dealers with membership, but don't know if it's a deal or steal (the new one is open in Janesville).

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete