Friday, December 08, 2006

Flying Ice Cream

I had over half a gallon of cream yesterday. I suppose I could've been responsible and made butter, but I can't even seem to get the bills paid and the rug vacuumed right now. So instead, I made ice cream. Oh, the loverly deliciousness of homemade ice cream with the raw eggs and the home-made vanilla, and no milk but all cream!

So I'm scooping out a serving for dessert after dinner, and it just went flying. One scoop of ice cream, lobbing in a nice high arc through the air, and plunking down in the butter dish. (Hey, that's better than plunking down in the fried chicken!) We laughed!

And then Gary brought in the mail. There was a present for Maggie -- a video montage of photos, including out-takes and director's commentary and credits. We laughed uproariously. Not only that, but the pictures were full of laughing people!

Whatever will become of us when our humor-partners grow up and move away from home, and we become old fuddy-duddies instead of giggly goofs?

PS: For those of you who don't own ice-cream makers, I've found a way to make ice cream without. You just mix up the ingredients, pour them into a 9x5 bread pan, or into a 13x9, and set it in the freezer for a few hours. When it's starting to get good and frozen, but not solid yet, take the pans out of the freezer. Scoop the nearly frozen ice cream into a mixer bowl, beat it silly (better with the whisk than the regular beater), and pour it into a container with a lid (or cover it with foil). Then let it freeze hard. And there you have home-made ice-cream without having to find a place to store an ice-cream maker.

PPS: It is completely stupid to scarf down ice-cream when you're already shivering from cold. But it tastes so good. Chalk me up as a stupid one!

4 comments:

  1. The goodness is worth the sacrifice of feeling even colder. Really.

    This is said my Rachel-the-coldest-ever, so you know that it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I was expecting a post about fried icre cream, and here you go and actually mean flying instead of making Engrish jokes.

    I don't see what is so silly about eating ice cream when it's cold out. Good food is good, regardless of temperatures outside.

    Says the boy who got scolded by a random lady for walking around in sub-freezing weather in t-shirt and shorts eating a bowl of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm not much better than Phil. I am sitting here in shorts and it is 46 degrees outside and 63 degrees in here, although it feels much colder than that. My hubby loves to eat ice cream in the winter. He says it's because it takes so long to melt.

    Your ice cream sounds delicious! As to your flying ice cream trick, sounds like stuff that happens around here. I knocked my hubby's timer into our chili last night. Good splatter pattern from that too. I'm still finding chili today. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can count my friends and I as stupid ones too... at 11:30-ish last night we made a trip out into the bitter cold so we could go to cold in oder to get an ice cream fix from Cold Stone!!! We were all freezing!

    ReplyDelete