Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Anonymous Posts

When Beggars All ceased their blogging, one of the explanations given was the lack of time. Although the men enjoyed blogging, although they enjoyed reading theology and talking about it, they also had their families and their jobs that needed attention. Jon called blogging a "black hole" that sucked time away from what should be our priorities.

I can easily get caught up in debates. But I ought not. It's not that I cannot provide evidence. It's not that I cannot give reasonable arguments for what I believe. It's not that I'm afraid of the name-calling. But I have other things that are more important to me. Besides, carrying out these debates via writing is a process that takes much time; such discussions work better in person, over a cup of coffee or a beer.

This blog was not started as a forum for arguing politics. It's particularly hard to "argue" with someone who resorts to name-calling and who will not actually engage the ideas and discuss the merits of the different viewpoints. I understand that people have different opinions. I doubt, though, that those who hold to a "non-religious" faith recognize that their beliefs are every bit as much BELIEFS as are my beliefs.

I cannot try to convince people of the shortcomings of their belief system. Not that I wouldn't like to try, but I have my priorities about how I spend my time. I'll say on my blog what I want to say. Comments are welcome. But I can and will delete posts from those who are anonymous and antagonistic. (Mom, I'm not talking to you. When you post "anonymously," you're not really anonymous. I know who you are. That's how it is for most "anonymous" posters. Besides, you're not antagonistic.)

Insulting me isn't a big deal. But don't be surprised when I delete posts that dishonor my Savior and His Word.

4 comments:

  1. I support you fully on this. We used to have a web site to put pics of us for our family and friends to see. On it we had a guestbook and we had to remove it and quit the thing because of the nasty comments that people put on about us. I can handle the rude comments about myself but not about my DH nor my children. And to dishonor the Lord, well don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely correct!! Being rude and/or insulting to people, especially family, is totally uncalled for, toward God well that is totally off the chart. By the way from your posts it sounds like you have some wonderful sons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on! Preach it sister!

    So what happened - was it random 'spam' or just 'legitimate' commentors being out of line?

    Well, I don't think what I had encountered with a few 'anonymous' spam posts compares to what I think happened on your blog, but I didn't like it none the less, so I turned on comment moderation - I talk about it on my blog here if you were interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan -- not random spam.

    ReplyDelete