Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Polly's Bubble-and-Squeak

I saw a recipe on a friend's blog that met all the requirements for a really great recipe. It still took me a few weeks to get around to trying it out. I thought it looked great because it's quick and easy, yummy, inexpensive, nutritious, and uses ingredients that are often already on hand. When I mentioned it to my eldest daughter who aspires to be a pirate sailing tall ships on the seas [I'm rolling my eyes...] she squealed and bounced because this is pirate food! This weekend we took it to our homeschool group's foreign-food potluck, and it was declared delicious by a lot of friends. So this is definitely going to have to go into the regularly used repertoire of meals.

1# sausage
1 onion
1/2 head cabbage
4 potatoes


Brown the sausage and chopped onions. Throw in the chopped cabbage and chopped potatoes. Polly said to cook it with a little water on the stove until the potatoes were done. I couldn't do that at a potluck, so I seasoned it with salt and pepper, and baked it (covered) in the oven in my iron stewpot for about an hour. I suppose it would also work well in a crockpot. Polly said season it with vinegar, but [oops] I forgot that. It was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment