Friday, November 24, 2006

Christmas Meme

All right, I've never done these "memes" before. Somebody needs to tell me the etymology of the word "meme" and how to pronounce it. And now, to join Jane and Polly and all the rest of y'all --

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate. With whipped cream.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
When Santa still brought presents, they were wrapped. Now Santa just fills stockings.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
The lights outside are colored. The tree indoors has both white and colored.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No. But we hang two mistleTOADS.

5. When do you put up your decorations?
A week or two before Christmas. The tree is usually 2-3 days before.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Uhhh, we don't eat at home. We let the Buddhists who own Chinatown Buffet feed us our Christmas dinner. My favorite would be a stir-fry with lots of broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, etc.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
I remember a big package under the tree. I was probably still a preschooler. My mom told me it was boots for Grandpa. When they presented me that big package on Christmas morning, it turned out to be a doll. My mother lied to me about that package! LOL!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Let's credit "the scientific method" for that. My brother and I used reason, and tried experiments, and worked it out slowly over the years.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Not usually.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Lights. Then a bunch of ornaments with memories: souveneirs of places we've been to, or ornamanets the kids have made or were given as gifts, or the ones my grandma used to hang on her tree.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I want to say I dread it. But after several years of drought, I hesitate to complain about any precipitation, no matter what the form. And there is the benefit of snow-cover reflecting more LIGHT during the dreary months of darkness.

12. Can you ice skate?
Yes.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
No. Unless we want to call Maggie a "gift."

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Church services. Y'know the motto that we need to put CHRIST back into CHRISTmas? Well, I say we need to put MASS back into ChristMAS.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Favorite dessert? But if I pick just one, won't the other desserts have their little self-esteems injured? Oh, phooey on the desserts' self-esteems.
Frosted and decorated cut-out cookies!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Going to church a whole lot more than just once or twice a week.

17. What tops your tree?
A star, cut out of scrap cardboard, covered with aluminum foil.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
One??? Why do you think the address of this blog is HYMN ADDICT?? Well, let's see. Probably "All My Heart Again Rejoices" -- but the whole thing, not that shortened version that's in LSB.

20. Candy Canes - yuck or yummy?
Yucky.

21. Christmas Trees - real or fake?
Real. And now that I've cut down all the ones I planted, I have to go find some place to cut one.


Tagging Paul, Katie, Philip, and Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment