Thursday, November 02, 2006

About LSB

Although there are things in TLH that are wonderful and will hopefully continue to be used, that doesn't mean LSB is inferior to TLH. Not by a long shot! I posted on one of the comment pages a list of great hymns that are available in LSB that aren't in TLH. And that was just a quickie-list I threw together prior to the 2004 convention. Since that time, I've found more treasures in the hymn section.

The Agenda for LSB is absolutely incredible. It's significantly superior to the previous agendas.

I don't mean to imply by yesterday's posts that there are serious deficiences in LSB. Yes, the list may be long of what's been left out of LSB, but that doesn't mean all of those (or even most of those) should've been included in the new hymnal. Christopher mentioned a week or so ago that he'd like to see "an overall factual review of LSB hymnody stating the major alterations (which hymns were eliminated, added, which hymns were partially eliminated)." I was doing that for myself anyway, so I just went ahead and posted the list here. For my purposes, I would've just listed the changes that I thought were important, and not bothered mentioning the changes I agreed with. But I didn't think it would hurt anything to provide the factual and unemotional list for people who might want to see it.

That said, I wouldn't want to discourage people from getting LSB. It's a good book. I think it's better than TLH. But like Pastor Petersen had said repeatedly, it's not as much better as I'd hoped it would be. And there are a couple of areas that I dearly hope will be remedied "next time." But the fact that it's not the perfect hymnal does not undo the fact that LSB is a very good hymnal.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I'd like to see an overall factual review of LSB too, especially in comparison to the other hymnals availabel now to our Lutheran churches (there are getting to be quite a few!)

    I know there are hymns in TLH which my pastors refer to as "clunkers" and it would not bother me to see those eliminated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a chance to use LSB for a pre-field trip Matins service. I liked the service well enough, but not being a music-reader the melodies were just different enough for me to keep my singing to myself.

    What is the reason for omitting the Amen from the conclusion of the hymns? I was sad to see them omitted.

    ReplyDelete