Saturday, April 12, 2014

Aprons

Maggie and I have been sewing this week.  We started this project last spring when we found the oh-so-exciting fabric for half-price.  Julie (Olivia's mom) had worked on some simple sewing skills with the girls nearly six years ago, putting together a baby blanket for Alia.  This week Maggie progressed to facings, ties/straps, patch pockets, and [gasp] curved seams. She also learned that her mother is a freak about ironing while sewing!  Everything must be ironed, ironed again, and then ironed a little more for good measure.

For the record, "See and Sew" patterns ["EASY to make!"] are not that simple.  And the directions cannot be followed by somebody unless she has some pretty good sewing experience already under her belt.  Boy, howdy, I thought an apron pattern would be a good start on sewing.  Not this pattern, though! 

We now have enough aprons to go around.

And we have aprons that will make us smile.

And I have the knowledge to use my old apron pattern (the one I used in 8th-grade sewing class for my first garment-production) next time I get the itch for apron-sewing.

(I think the flounce on the bottom of the apron makes me look fat.  Or pregnant.  But "Does this make me look fat?" is a naughty naughty question.  So I will not ask it.)


2 comments:

  1. I agree, See and Sew patterns are difficult. My mom is a home ec teacher but I was a stupid teenager and didn't listen to anything she wanted to teach me while I was at home so I had to teach myself to sew past the beginning sewing. I like your apron material!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That apron style would be wonderful over a dress. I always disliked the wrinkles that formed on my skirts when I wore an apron. There just isn't enough room for a fuller skirt under a straight apron. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete