Friday, August 30, 2013

The Pastor's Tone of Voice

The Word is the Word.  Does it matter how it's spoken?  Won't it be efficacious no matter how we say it?

The other day, as Pastor discussed the first commandment during chapel, he spoke in Jesus' stead: "Trust Me.  Trust Me." 

And my heart melted.
And I keep hearing that particular configuration of sounds: "Trust Me."

I don't know about you, but I've heard "trust Me" spoken in a scolding voice.  The tone carries the message that it's going to be a chore to trust God, but we'll just have to pull ourselves up by the bootstraps and do it.

I've heard "trust Me" spoken in an arrogant voice.  The tone carries the message that God deserves to be trusted, and we are peons, and we just better get our groveling-act up-to-snuff.

But "trust Me" is a sweet invitation.  It's a word like unto a daddy telling a child, "I've got it all under control; it's going to be fine; I will take care of it for you!!!" 

And it's lovely when the non-verbal communication communicates that.

1 comment:

  1. When mom gets confused because of her Alzheimer's, I sometimes just say "Trust me". She still believes that I will just make things work out, so she calms down and can move forward. Perhaps we all need to just trust that God will make things work out in that same way.

    ReplyDelete