1. My son-in-law Nathan underwent surgery on his ankle yesterday. He fell on ice in the parking lot, resulting in two fractures in his joint as well as messing up his tendon. (Or was it ligament? I can never keep those two straight.) No walking for ten weeks. No driving either, as it's his right foot.
2. I waited too long to go to the theatre. I wanted SO badly to see Les Miserables. All my friends told me how fabulous it was. I have freebie tickets hanging on the bulletin board, with precious little in the theatre I have any interest in seeing. I figured I could happily go see Les Mis more than once. But recent events have prevented a trip out to indulge myself. Today I tried finding a theatre that was still showing it. No go. Bummers.
3. Next Sunday we'll be singing "In Thee Alone, O Christ, My Lord" and Gerhardt's "I Will Sing My Maker's Praises." Ah! I will spend all week looking forward to it!!! (Is that too weird, that superb hymns bring so much relief and joy?)
4. I was chatting yesterday with a co-worker (who's majoring in psychology and Japanese) about the difference in my granddaughters. At age 4, Alia has very little ability to put herself in another's shoes. That's really not abnormal; she's young. But at age 1 1/2 Zoe was already watching out for others, trying to console sad people, and showing compassion. My co-worker said that's highly unusual (and it is); she said kids don't start learning that until age 8 or so. Age 8? Hmm. That's not what I see. I wonder if it makes a difference if they are baptized Christians, united with the One who is mercy?
5. I finally started watching Downton Abbey. Oh. my. goodness. It's so good!!!