Saturday, January 28, 2012

What's in the Creed

Many segments of Christendom care a lot about sanctification.  They often spend more time talking about how a person becomes holy than proclaiming that a person is declared righteous because of Jesus' blood shed on the cross.*

So what do we find in the Creed? 

In the Apostles' Creed, we pray "I believe in ... the forgiveness of sins."   In the Nicene Creed, we pray, "I believe in ... one baptism for the remission of sins."  But no mention of my progress in holiness. 

I suspect that means something.





* Footnote: Now, by no means am I saying that sanctification is unimportant.  I am saying, however, that if the focus is genuinely on the call to repentance and  justification, sanctification will of necessity follow, even without anybody haranguing people to be holier.

No comments:

Post a Comment