Monday, January 23, 2012

Firm in the Faith

You shall call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins. Jesus' name means "the Lord is salvation." That means we are not. Salvation is entirely from Him, and not at all from us.

Even when we believe that Jesus has done everything to save us, the adamic nature manages to twist "faith" into "my believingness" by which we are saved. (I guess that's what it is to be simultaneously saint and sinner: we trust in Jesus, and yet at the same time we refuse to let go of our own works meriting something, somehow, some way, even if only a smidge.)

"The God of peace Himself will sanctify you wholly and keep your spirit, soul, and body sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, and He will do it." He will do it.

We sing in "Jesus, Priceless Treasure,"
Pain or loss or shame or cross
shall not from my Savior move me
since He deigns to love me.


Why will the cross of affliction not tear me away from my Savior? Because I love Him so much? Because I'm a good Christian? No. Because HE condescends to love me.

The catechism quotes Titus chapter 3: "... so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life." This is a trustworthy saying!

And what else does Paul call a trustworthy saying? "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." Sinners? He saves sinners? For real? Wouldn't it make more sense if God helped the good people? Trouble is, sinners are incapable of keeping themselves firm in the faith.

But with God, all things are possible. And His reputation is on the line. "He who called you is faithful, and He will do it." He will!

No comments:

Post a Comment