Sunday, September 04, 2011

Unschooling

I love the opening quote from an article about the role of an unschooling parent:
Unschooling is not about letting my children run wild. It's not about shirking my responsibility, but it's about embracing it. It's about spending actual time with my children, about getting to know them like I would a friend. Unschooling is about being present with my children.


Unschooling is, in one sense, easier than trying to play The School Game in your own house. But in another sense, unschooling is harder. This article explains why.

1 comment:

  1. The other way that unschooling is harder is in how counter-cultural it is. People sorta understand doing a textbook's math problems at the kitchen table each morning instead of in a school classroom. But not touching a formal math textbook till 6th grade? That really blows people's minds.

    ReplyDelete