Saturday, April 09, 2011

Menu for a Party When You Can't Prepare

So what do you do when you're having 18 people over for Sunday dinner, but you'll be gone from 7:00 until 12:30, arriving at home from church the same time as the guests? All my standard company dinners (lasagna, meatloaf & mashies, tetrazzini, brats & burgers) wouldn't work in this situation. I needed something that could be prepared on Saturday and then served straight out of the fridge or the crockpot(s). Here's what I came up with:

~ sub sandwiches: buns, meats, cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, green pepper, peperoncini, olives, mayo, mustard, ketchup, pickles
~ roast vegetables, roasted the night before and warmed in the crockpot on Sunday morning
~ baked beans (same plan as the roast veggies)
~ fruit: based on availability, we have a bowl of fresh pineapple, a bowl of grapes, a platter of sliced oranges with dried dates
~ potato salad
~ beverages: sweet tea, unsweetened herb tea, wine, beer, water, milk
~ dessert: Glenda's most evil dessert plus whatever Katie brings


It's been a long time since I've cooked for company. Today has been fun! As much as I like my job at the bank, today again has me dreaming of catering.

5 comments:

  1. Susan, you are probably the only person who understands why I am looking forward to the wedding so much more now that I am doing some of the food.:) Unfortunately for us, catering is one of those areas where government regulation makes it almost impossible for a normal, average person to start now because of the insane expense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that cutting alone would have taken me 2 days! I assume Zoe was baptized today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, she's not, I just don't post often - in my dreams I'm a caterer, in reality I just get to do it for friends now and again. Susan it sounds like a wonderful menu, and a great time too, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great time! Thanks for the lunch. I was going to bring something but then I had Nathan over almost all day yesterday and Friday was kind of crazy. :( Maybe next time! Thanks for everything you did today. I really enjoyed the visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you could come, Cassie. And it was fine that you didn't bring anything. Julie at church (she sits near you when she comes to Bible class) offered to help cook too. But as Gina and Jane mentioned, I love to do this kind of cooking!

    And Jane, yes, I know ... I can't be a caterer because the govt regulations are too invasive and bossy and picayunish. If the govt would butt out and let the market regulate itself, I would be a great caterer.

    ReplyDelete