Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fire

The huge amounts of black smoke would've made LOST fans think the smoke monster had gotten off the island. I assumed someone was burning a tire.

It wasn't a tire. Soon I saw flames. The flames grew bigger. Does the neighbor knows what's going on? If I call 911, will they scoff at me and say, "Well, of course we know about that; it's a controled burn and everything's fine"? I checked; the fire's fuel was indeed a pile of brush that needed to be burned. But the flames were about 20' high and were way too close to the barn's roof. Just when I decided I didn't care about crying wolf and headed for the phone, I heard the sirens.

This is when the fire had died down, after the firemen had been spraying water on it for a while.

Moral of the story: I must remember that, now that we're in town, call 911 right away. There are buildings here in town, not just grass. Sometimes butting into your neighbor's business is a good thing. (That was more excitement than I wanted for the day.)

2 comments:

  1. Is it legal to burn brush like that where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you have a burn permit, and if you attend the fire, and if you have sufficient water to put the fire out if'n it gets out of control, then it's legal to burn.

    I just went and looked at the stipulations on my burn permit. You need special permission if you burn a pile of brush bigger than 4'x4'x3'. This pile started about 30'x15'x10'.

    ReplyDelete