Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Taking the Book Along

Today some of us homeschoolers attended Henry V at APT. As Janelle and I were talking afterward, there were ideas and character-development and quotes we wanted to go back to and explore. But when we get home, do we remember what we wanted to look up? Do we bother to haul out the books or hunt on the internet, or do we just get to cooking supper?

I recalled to her how Pastor Wiest took along a copy of the play. One evening he and his wife took me and Gary and another couple out to "Merry Wives of Windsor." It wasn't a terribly good production, but we were with people we loved. Afterwards, Steve said we should go out and discuss the play. So, well after our bedtime, we headed to a diner for coffee and talk. He had his copy of the play, so he could look up exact quotes, refer back to them, or make theological points.

As I was thinking, "Hmmm, maybe that's something we should do next year when we come to APT," I recalled that today is St Michael's, and it was six years ago today that Steve went into that hospice room. And then it was time to shut off my thoughts before the tears flowed, and divert the conversation back to something more Shakespeary and less memory-ish.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you say you still cry over the memory of a dear friend. I still can't think of my dear friend Roberta without getting weepy. It's been almost 4 years. It seems like yesterday that she died.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss him, too. Aaron preached today at Martin Luther on St. Michael. While that time was so painful...it also is one of the most beautiful memories in my life...friends coming and going, crying, praying, singing, listening, hugging, and being absolved. He was a dear man, husband, father, pastor, and friend.

    ReplyDelete