Monday, June 01, 2009

Stuff To Do

Hi, Mom. We're still here. I didn't fall off the face of the earth. We've been working on the garden. On Sunday afternoon we went to a graduation party. Saturday there's another one, and next Sunday there's another.

Sure enough, with all the errands I had to do today, this was the day my order from Jung's Nursery arrived. Gary and I planted the blueberry shrubs this evening. The roots of the blackberries and raspberries hadn't soaked long enough by this evening, so I guess the kids and I will tackle those tomorrow, after they've absorbed more water. And we need to do the strawberries. And the asparagus. And the potatoes.

I feel like such a neglectful mother. Philip did gobs of cleaning and moving this weekend, with help from his brothers. Gary and I haven't even seen the place yet. But the tomatoes and the cucumbers and other veggies are planted. For a few hours today we got a glimpse of summer: it made it to 80. Then the wind changed. Tonight the lows are in the low- to mid-40s. Tomorrow the high may make it to 50, they tell us. Somehow, I don't think my green beans and my peppers and tomatoes are going to thrive.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, don't feel like a bad mom...your boys handled it on their own! That is something to be proud of. (Can I end a sentence with of?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of time frame are you looking at before all that produce will be ready to eat? Weeks? Months? (I'm not a gardener, but I am interested.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberries will be next summer. Raspberries and blackberries will probably be summer of '11 or '12 before they start being worth anything. Blueberries and asparagus will start producing something in '12 but will still be struggling along for a couple years after that.

    The tomatoes and beans and corn and melons will probably be August. The peas I planted in March are still doing next to nothing. Too cold. (And peas are a cold-weather veggie.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, you can end a sentence with "of"! Even my "Dictionary of Usage" says so!

    ReplyDelete