Friday, January 09, 2009

Julie's Apple Cake

Time flies when you get old! I can't believe the two youngest kids don't remember this cake. This is moist and delicious -- and easy. But the thing I like about it most is that it reminds me of Julie. She apologized once for making it "all the time." She said it was something she took to all potlucks, and a dessert she frequently served for any and all company. Until she mentioned it, I hadn't realized that we usually did eat that cake whenever we had dinner at her house ... but it was something to look forward to, not to think "Aaaaah.... again???"

When I said I was making Julie's apple cake, the two youngest didn't remember it. Wow, was it really that long ago that Fentons left for Detroit? I guess so.... Well, Mag and Andrew certainly enjoyed the cake, and requested it several more times before I depleted our supply of apples from Pastor's orchard.



Mix the ingredients in order:
1 cup sugar
½ cup butter
1 egg
1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup coffee
2 cups chopped raw apple

Spread batter in greased 13x9" pan.

Top with mixture of
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment