Sunday, January 27, 2008

My Grocery Store

For weeks I hadn't gone grocery shopping. I picked up a few things at a local store, and a few things at Aldi. Gary had done the grocery run once, and Paul had gone once. But I hadn't done the big once-a-week trip to MY store in what seemed like ages. I was feeling stressed about money, and the idea of spending $100 or more on groceries was unreasonably stressing me. (After all, is there anything more important to spend money on than your dinner?)

And then a week ago I went to Woodman's. There was something so comforting about walking through the aisles I knew, picking up the groceries that were essential to life, seeing people I knew, and just doing one of those routine chores. And when I went to Woodman's today, the same comfortable feeling overcame me.

I am a boring old putz who loves my routine!

3 comments:

  1. Some time ago you suggested I look for a Woodman's in my area. I did a websearch for "Woodman's Chicago" or something like that and didn't find anything. But then not long ago a member of our church mentioned going to Woodman's. So I looked a little harder and it turns out there is one in North Aurora--not far but still further than I want to drive on a weekly basis (I know, I'm spoiled). But according to the Wikipedia entry on Woodman's there is now one planned for Romeoville--just a hop, skip & jump from me. Whoopee! I just hope it doesn't take years to become a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ai-yi-yi. I thought I was the only one who was like that about *my* grocery store!

    There's a few grocery stores that I simply won't shop at because I can't find anything. Who puts corn syrup in the breakfast aisle by the pancakes? It belongs in the baking goods, thank you very much. The 3x per decade that I purchase corn syrup I probably spend 40 minutes looking for the stupid stuff. I'd do better to chuck the 2 cookie frosting recipes I have that require it...

    OK. Rant over. Carry on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like aldi and I helped my sis shop for Christmas at the Beloit Woodman's.

    ReplyDelete