Sunday, January 27, 2008

Car Insurance

I haven't reported the accident to the insurance company yet; they weren't open on the weekend. But we saw our insurance agent at church this morning. I was hoping to get an idea of which Blue Book value they use in determining whether a car is totaled or repairable: the trade-in value, the private-sale value, or [unlikely] the retail value. He didn't know. He said it would be decided by the appraiser. Oh well, I guess we just wait on that one then.

The big bummer was what he told us about the non-contact accident. Because the other driver was not hurt and his property was not damaged, his insurance company can simply ignore the accident. We said, "But the police report says he's at fault." Doesn't matter apparently. Since I didn't make contact with his vehicle, all the liability falls on me and my insurance company. Can you believe that??? I would've been better off financially had I just stayed in my lane, slowing as much as possible without losing control, and creamed him. I thought it was better to do less damage. But apparently I'll be punished for it, and get to pay the deductible myself.

Well, if I had stayed in my lane and hit the other vehicle, I suppose I would've done some real damage to my body in addition to the car.

1 comment:

  1. I found that out too in an accident I had in 99. Where 2 highways merged on the interstate a car forced a guy into the right median. When that 2nd car hit the median it spun him back across all 4 interstate lanes and he hit the rear of my car (I just missed the clear). I spun around and faced 4 lanes of interstate traffic. Fortunately I wasn't hurt, my car was out for a month and his insurance paid for it. However, the trooper looked for the guy who kept going and originally forced the 2nd guy off the road. They said it would have been better if the first guy made contact as then the liaiblity would have been on him as he started the whole mess anyhow. Secondly, since he never stopped they could have charged him with hit and run (a felony I believe), but since no contact was made he got by scott free.

    It doesn't make sense at all.

    ReplyDelete