Monday, April 02, 2007

Vista

My computer is nearly five years old, and when I bought it, it wasn't a state-of-the-art machine, but one of the el-cheapo models. It's slow. And it's been in the basement, down there in the dark. I've been considering getting a laptop so I can work outside in the sun, or maybe take it to church with me to catalog stuff in the file cabinet. We had figured we'd stop at a computer store while we were in the city yesterday, and look at some possibilities.

But then we heard about Nathan's computer woes while installing Vista. Add that to my aversion to learning anything new on the computer, and my total clutziness and forgetfulness with regard to cyberthings. When I recalled that all the new PCs have Vista, I decided pretty quickly that I was not interested in computer shopping for quite a while yet!

So today my men disassembled my computer components and took them upstairs to the living room. The computer with the educational programs (spelling drill, math drill, typing tutor, etc) was relegated to the basement. Now I can do some of my work up here where there's sunlight and less frigid temperatures.

But it does seem very very weird to go downstairs with a load of clothes for the wash machine, or go put something away in the pantry, and NOT stop to hit "download mail" on the computer as I go past. If I can't expect to learn Vista without significant brain exertion, why should I expect to get used to checking email in a different location without likewise taxing the brain cells?

6 comments:

  1. Actually, I need to clarify something in my own blog post, but I'll do it here, too. :-) Lest anyone get the wrong impression...

    I love Vista, and I think most Windows fans who try it will love it, too. It wasn't Vista that gave me the problem on my computer... it was a bad hard drive (which Vista had nothing to do with).

    But I'll post more on that on my blog later. For now... yeah, if it taxes the brain cells to check e-mail in a different location, I wouldn't get Vista if I were you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Nathan, I know it wasn't Vista that did it to your computer. But you're right, I wasn't clear about that here. It was, however, the mention of Vista that reminded me of what I'd get if I purchased a new computer. And you're right about that last sentence.... :-)

    I'm the guy in the cartoon (only worse).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was Vista that did it to us at church. Ugh! It didn't play nicely with any of the printers or programs that we use. It set me back several weeks worth of work and I still haven't caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the guy in the cartoon (only worse).

    You've read Ctrl+Alt+Del Comics??? Susan! I knew you were cool, but I didn't know you were THAT cool.

    My Mother-In-Law is hip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not hip. Knock that silly idea out of your mind, Nathan. I'm a fuddy-duddy.

    We were waiting for our table on Sunday, discussing your hard drive and my need for a new computer (without Vista) and whether to wait until the bugs are worked out of the program and stuff. The kids told me about the cartoon, and it seemed appropos. But I am techno-inept enough that I couldn't even hunt it up myself. Paul graciously opened a window for me with the cartoon so that I could read it and nab the address.

    So, am I relegated to the pile of hip-rejects again??

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, am I relegated to the pile of hip-rejects again??

    Okay, alright, if you want to be relegated to the pile of hip-rejects, I guess I can't argue with that...

    But only because you used the phrase 'fuddy-duddy'! That's so, like, not hip.

    ReplyDelete