Sunday, April 01, 2007

On a Clear Day

Gary picked up another movie last night. He prevailed upon me to watch for a bit. The kids and I needed to do some schoolwork, but one of my victims students was in the shower. So while we waited for the victim child to arrive in the living room, we figured we could catch the opening scenes and setting of On a Clear Day.

We couldn't stop for something like a mere history book on the Dust Bowl.

It was a good movie. The basic plot was about a man who'd lost his job and didn't know what to do with himself. He decided to swim the English Channel. There were amusing parts and touching parts. At one point in the movie, I just laughed because I wanted to bop several characters upside the head and say, "You people are NOT being as sneaky as you think you are." (Sneaky about leaving a present. Or sneaky about a private dream/goal.) There were parts about dealing with grief and loss, and parts about restoring strained relationships, and parts about forgiveness, and parts about male friendships.

On the whole, I thought it was just a really nice wholesome, sweet movie. I was surprised when Gary pointed out that it's rated PG-13. Then Philip pointed out that there was some "language." I guess he's right. But it's the kind of profanity that has to do with bodily functions, and not the kind that breaks the second commandment. So it didn't register in my brain as the Truly Offensive kind of profanity.

To justify myself with regard to skipping the book on the Dust Bowl, we developed questions and found answers about
- how far it is across the English Channel,
- why there had to be an official observer in the boat,
- where Dover and Calais are,
- why you ought not eat before swimming,
and other things.

2 comments:

  1. That title reminded me of a book I saw lying around the house when I was in High School. I never paid much attention to it but saw it frequently. So I did a search for it just now.

    "On a clear day you can see yourself" by Dr. Sonya Friedman. I don't know who that is but I read the blurb about it book. The things you find out about your parents later sometimes cracks you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed that movie too. I just love Brenda Blenham - who played the wife, and also Mrs Bennett in the recent version of P&P. I think she's a riot.

    ReplyDelete